Monday, July 03, 2006

Electronica at 30



I'm showing my age here, but I remember my older cousin Joe playing this music for me as a toddler and being completely mesmerized. Perhaps that's why I still have a soft spot for groups like Yaz, Pet Shop Boys, New Order, etc.

I was amused by this passage from Kraftwerk's wikipedia entry:

The band is notoriously reclusive, so much so that it is rumoured that their own record company does not have their phone numbers. Another notable example of their eccentric behaviour was reported to Johnny Marr of The Smiths by Karl Bartos, who explained that anyone trying to contact the band for collaboration would be told that their studio telephone did not have a ringer, as during recording the band did not like to hear any kind of noise pollution. Instead, they were instructed to phone the studio at a certain time on the dot, whereupon the phone would be answered by Ralf Hütter, despite himself never hearing the phone ring. Hütter: "The telephone is an antiquity — you never know who is calling, there is no image, it is an outmoded product which constantly disrupts work." (interviewed in Liberation, 1991)


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

FREE hit counter and Internet traffic statistics from freestats.com