Saturday, September 09, 2006

Singles Only: Tracey Ullman - "They Don't Know"





I've found that getting older is really just about shedding inhabitions, tearing down the fences one has built around himself, etc.

That said, I might have lied earlier when I called that Reivers song my favorite evs.

Long before Tracey Ullman unleashed The Simpsons on your ass, she had a very respectable career as a musician. I was maybe 10 or 11 when this song came out--just discovering girls. All of the sudden, everything seemed to make perfect sense.

"They Don't Know" is a song in a perpetual state of suspended animation. Written by Kirsty MacColl (who was taken from us much too soon), it pays its respects to the golden age of Motown girl groups but somehow establishes a character all its own. Tracey may have covered it as a goof, but that makes no difference to me.

I guess it qualifies as a guilty pleasure. If it's wrong to love this song, being right is for suckers.

baaaaa-by

MP3: Tracey Ullman ~ They Don't Know
[From 1992's You Broke My Heart In 17 Places: The Best Of Tracey Ullman (originally released as a Stiff Records single in 1983]
Buy: [eMusic] [Amazon]

Bonus MP3: Kirsty MacColl ~ They Don't Know
[From 2005's The Stiff Years, originally a 1979 Stiff single]
Buy: [eMusic]

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

thank you for this. this video brings back a lot of young memories of the golden age of Mtv. Did I really just write that?

satisfied 75

9:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

FREE hit counter and Internet traffic statistics from freestats.com