Wednesday, August 16, 2006

The Doleful Lions - "Motel Swim"













I just realized that I haven't posted anything musical in a while (I'm putting Rufus Harley in the 'cultural' column, since, sadly, I can't claim to have been a fan). I think maybe I should start a separate MP3 blog. Or maybe this should be that and the other should be the 'random' outlet. I guess I'm thinking the mix of music and other pop culture detritus may be a little disconcerting. If anyone has a strong opinion, I'd welcome it.

In any case, here's an older song that certainly deserves a wider audience:

MP3: The Doleful Lions ~ Motel Swim
[From their 1998 release of the same name, produced by Mitch Easter]

Yeah, it kind of sounds like Yo La Tengo at that band's more tender moments. There's not a whole lot to it, but therein lies the beauty. Namechecks Sam Phillips. Mixtape gold.
Buy: [eMusic]

Bonus MP3: The Doleful Lions ~ The Sound of Cologne
[also off Motel Swim]

Proof that it is possible to write a really good song about being a music geek. Wait. Recursion--what?

4 Comments:

Blogger Satisfied '75 said...

nice, I hadnt heard of these cats.

per the blog, I too had to decide whether or not to concntrate strictly on music after a couple of months. Glad I did as it breathed new life into it, etc. You can always maintain two blogs!

3:10 AM  
Blogger KTM said...

Went back and listened to the whole album today--solid, solid stuff. I'm going to see what they're up to lately.

As far as the blog goes, I'm thinking you're right. Now I just need to get my collection organized...

1:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

the more i listen the more i want to go swim in some doleful motel water. hurry up with that mix, eh?

9:43 PM  
Blogger KTM said...

It's coming, but maybe not 'til later this week. End of summer, beginning of fall--perfect.

11:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

FREE hit counter and Internet traffic statistics from freestats.com